The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for the support of church-wide volunteer recruitment, training, scheduling, and recognition. This includes leadership and coordination of a volunteer check-in team, processing communication cards, managing the volunteer recruitment process, coordinating volunteer orientation, ministry fairs, and recognition events.
Essential Job Functions
- Lead a team of volunteers that staff volunteer check-in stations on Sunday mornings.
- Process communication cards and other information cards (registration for classes, first-time guests and new families, prayer requests, etc.).
- Create and update all types of cards used to gather information.
- Champion the use of Church Community Builder, specifically its process workflow capability, as the primary tool for volunteer recruitment and tracking.
- Enter, maintain and add “positions” for all ministry areas which include ministry descriptions, application requirements, questionnaires as well as personality and spiritual gift assessments.
- Process electronic and hard copy volunteer applications by conducting an initial interview with the applicant and updating Church Community Builder for movement through volunteer recruitment process queues.
- Plan and facilitate monthly volunteer orientation sessions by selecting a date, time, and location, scheduling volunteer ministry leaders to participate, and communicating information about orientation to new volunteers.
- Develop, maintain and update volunteer orientation materials (handouts, contact information, lanyards, etc.) with ministry staff.
- Coordinate and schedule quarterly ministry fairs that involve ministry staff, volunteer ministry leaders and other key volunteers.
- Facilitate the coordination of ministry-specific brochures and other printed materials to be used at ministry fairs (theme, common format, etc.).
- Plan and implement regular church-wide volunteer recognition events.
- Manage, in Church Community Builder, all ministry events requiring registration (CIY, PCTC, mission trips, classes, etc.).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
This position requires a minimum of 1 to 3 years of experience as a staff member in a church or business environment. Possession of a BS/BA Degree in Business or related field is required. (Extensive ministry experience, in some cases, can be substituted.) The successful individual will also possess a working knowledge of Microsoft Office, database, and other related applications.