Serving as Sound Operator helps to ensure the church accomplishes its mission through the production of creative and inspiring weekend services and special events.
The Sound Operator serves as part of the Tech Team during weekend services in support of the Arts organization. Scheduled on a rotating basis, the Sound Operator configures, operates, and troubleshoots all audio equipment used in the execution of weekend services and special events. This includes audio equipment connection, sound board setup/configuration, sound checks and other testing, and sound board operation during rehearsal(s) and production of all weekend services and special events.
The Tech Team serves during weekend services as well as during special events as needed. Sound Operators are asked to serve all scheduled services, at least one weekend per month. Sound Operators are also recruited as needed to staff a Tech Team for special events. In addition to serving as part of weekend services, Sound Operators will be asked to attend periodic team meetings and training sessions.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Arrive at the scheduled time and begin review of cue sheets and other information related to the service or special event.
- Evaluate the status of the sound board and reconfigure as needed.
- Check, replace batteries in, and distribute wireless microphones and other equipment as needed to equip band members, speakers, etc.
- Coordinate and direct sound checks with band members and others involved in the production to ensure equipment is functioning properly and that proper sound levels and sound mix is obtained.
- Attend walk through meeting along with other production team members to review the service order and other important service production details.
- Conduct rehearsal to fully understand service details and to practice transitions and audio cues as needed to minimize distractions during the service(s).
- Coordinate with other Tech Team members to produce the service/special event as planned.
- Attend band practice the week before the weekend you are scheduled to serve.
- Attend regular Tech Team meetings and training sessions.
Training, Resources, and Other Requirements
Attending periodic conferences and/or seminars/training sessions is regularly required to ensure the best tools and techniques are being utilized by the church in the production of weekend services. At a minimum, the Sound Operator should attend the church’s Starting Point class.
The Sound Operator reports to the Technical Director.