Serving as a Security Specialist helps to ensure the church provides the safest possible environment for children and adults attending and serving during weekly services and special events.
The Security Specialist stands watch during services and at other critical times to ensure the safest possible environment is maintained. Incidents are confronted and addressed in an effective manner that minimizes disruption and harm to persons or property. Security team members are also expected to respond when needed in an emergency medical situation.
A security team is on duty during weekend services as well as during special events as needed. The Security Specialist is asked to serve at least one Sunday one time per month. Individuals are also recruited as needed to staff a security team for special events. In addition to serving on the security team, each person will be asked to attend periodic training in the areas of security and emergency medical response.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain a watchful eye while making rounds, ensuring assigned area is properly patrolled and monitored.
- Stay in walkie-talkie communication with other security personnel as well as logistics, usher, and tech team members at all times prepared to respond as needed.
- Wear security badge at all times as proper “Church Security” identification.
- Respond to medical and other emergencies according to established procedures.
- Function as operational logistics person when needed by a children’s classroom, adult worship, or other church staff or volunteer leader.
- Manage traffic flow as guests drop off/pick up children and enter/exit the adult worship area.
Training and Resources
Completion of periodic training on church security procedures and best practices is required of each volunteer. Obtaining a certification in CPR is also required. Other training may be requested of the volunteer as needed to ensure the best techniques are being utilized to ensure the church maintains a safe environment at all times.
The Security Specialist reports to the Security Team Leader and, in the absence of the Security Team Leader, the Executive Pastor.