The Executive Pastor is responsible for the overall leadership and direction of church staff, leading all functional areas to accomplish the church’s mission. This includes outreach, arts, pastoral care, groups, student and children’s ministry areas, strategic planning, finance, administration, human resources, and operations.
Essential Job Functions
- Support the Senior Pastor in accomplishing the church’s mission through ministry effectiveness evaluation, discernment, decision-making, planning, and overall direction of the church staff.
- Lead the ministry staff in the establishment and ongoing direction of ministries that effectively reach the church’s demographic, ensuring the accomplishment of the overall mission.
- Ensure the operational readiness of the church through leadership and oversight of the support staff performing administrative duties, finance, human resources, supply, and facilities management.
- Facilitate the annual strategic planning process, including evaluation of ministry performance; review of mission, vision, and core values; develop key objectives and tactics; and establish three-year goals.
- Establish and maintain a set of key performance measures (KPMs) that provide the Senior Pastor and church staff with ongoing visibility of the effectiveness of all functional areas of the church.
- Develop annual financial plans that fund the accomplishment of the strategic plan and meet critical financial objectives such as established cash reserve levels.
- Lead church planting efforts, including developing a strategy, networking with other church planting-focused churches for funding and provision of other needed resources, and identification, development, and leadership of lead church planters.
- Champion the development of infrastructure by all ministries and support areas that support the healthy, long-term growth of the church.
- Lead the church’s building programs, including capital fundraising campaigns, master planning, design and architecture, contractor selection, and construction.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
This position requires 10 to 15 years of experience as a senior leader in a corporate business environment. A Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Technology, or another related field is required. A Master’s work in Biblical studies is a plus. Successful individuals must have a proven track record of effective leadership, judgment, and above-reproach character.