The Director of Human Resources is responsible for leadership of the church’s human resources function. This includes volunteer coordination, human relations, benefits administration, compensation, payroll, recruiting, training and development, and facilities coordination.
Essential Job Functions
- Develop and lead a team of paid staff and/or volunteers in the creation and ongoing management of a human resources organization.
- Function as lead volunteer coordinator performing all duties and responsibilities of the volunteer coordinator position. (See volunteer coordinator job description.)
- Lead the human relations function for church and preschool staff including the development, documentation, and communication of policies and procedures.
- Administrate medical, dental, eye care, 403(b), and other benefits available to eligible employees.
- Establish and administer a staff compensation program including job descriptions, grade levels, salary ranges, and periodic (annual) benchmarking and adjustment.
- Work with the bookkeeper and contract payroll company to ensure part and full-time church staff and preschool employees are paid on the established pay schedule.
- Develop, document, and administrate a church and preschool staff recruiting process that meets the needs of ministry area leaders and ensures the church complies with all state and federal recruiting laws.
- Support ministry area and preschool leaders in the development of training and employee development programs and processes such as training classes, recommended conference and event attendance, and annual performance appraisals/development plans.
- Function as facilities coordinator being the point person for all facilities usage requests and specific requirements pertaining to facilities usage.
- Maintain all records (personnel, recruiting, etc.) to ensure the church complies with all state and federal employment laws.
- Develop an annual departmental budget and manage spending to budget.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
This position requires a minimum of 3 to 5 years experience as a human resources professional in a church or business environment. Possession of a BS/BA Degree in Human Resources or related field is required. (Extensive specific experience, in some cases, can be substituted.) The successful individual will be a strong leader with a solid work ethic and ability to administrate as a department leader. A working knowledge of Microsoft Office, database (Church Community Builder), and other related applications is preferred.