The Children’s Pastor is responsible for all aspects of ensuring the spiritual growth and development of children ages birth through 5th grade. This includes curriculum selection, volunteer recruitment and development, classroom management, and operational management necessary to ensure successful and constantly improving weekend children’s services and periodic special events.
Essential Job Functions
- Lead a team of paid staff and volunteers in the operation of a children’s ministry, including weekend services and periodic special events.
- Regularly select and/or develop curriculum for a children’s Christian education program that is part of the church’s weekend service schedule.
- Implement children’s registration, classroom management, and security policies/practices in support of weekend services and periodic special events.
- Direct the recruitment, training, and development of volunteers as needed to staff children’s ministry classrooms and special events.
- Cast vision for and program the church’s annual Kids’ Camp outreach event including music selection, development of messages/teaching, and utilization of games and other artistic elements in the inspiration of children in learning about God.
- Design and plan periodic child dedication services as required, meeting the needs and expectations of families attending the church.
- Lead the creative use and proactive upkeep of children’s ministry facilities and grounds.
- Assist in the development of an annual budget for children’s ministries and manage spending to budget.
- Function as a member of the church’s Pastoral Staff performing baptism services, weddings, funerals, etc. as part of a rotation schedule.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
This position requires a minimum of 5 to 7 years experience as a staff member in a children’s ministry leadership capacity. Possession of a teaching or related degree is required. (Extensive ministry experience, in some cases, can be substituted.) The successful individual will be a strong leader with a solid work ethic, possess a passion for teaching children about God, and have the ability to administrate as a department head. A working knowledge of creative programming related to children’s classes and special events is a real plus.