The Bookkeeper is responsible for managing church finances and financial business processes. This includes processing weekly offerings and other forms of income, preschool tuition billing and payment processing, and bill payment as well as oversight of purchasing, expense reimbursement, check request, petty cash, and payroll processes.
Essential Job Functions
- Receive, count, enter, and deposit weekly tithes and offerings received via weekend services, mail, online, stock transfer, etc.
- Produce preschool tuition billing documentation and receive and process monthly tuition payments.
- Receive, review, record, and pay bills and other expenses as directed.
- Plan for upcoming expenses and manage cash flow as required to meet the operational needs of the church.
- Establish and manage purchasing, expense reimbursement, petty cash, check request, and other financial business processes.
- Manage payroll for church staff ensuring funds are transferred and payroll data is entered each pay period.
- Establish and manage bank accounts as the church’s business needs dictate.
- Update and distribute weekly Stat Sheet to church staff, Leadership Team, and other individuals as directed.
- Produce and distribute quarterly and annual general and building fund giving statements.
- Assist the Executive Pastor and other church staff in developing an annual financial plan.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
This position requires a minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience as an accounting/finance person in a church or business environment. Possession of a BA/BS Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field is required. (Extensive accounting/finance, in some cases, can be substituted.) The successful individual will also possess a working knowledge of Quickbooks (or other similar software applications) Microsoft Office (including Excel), church database, and other related applications.