The Associate Pastor is the primary support person for the Senior Pastor in the performance of his sermon planning and weekly speaking duties as well as outreach and missions duties, normally performed by an Outreach Pastor. This includes assisting with sermon series planning and sermon preparation, service planning and design, periodic speaking, coordination of outside speakers, management of sermon development resources, marketing and advertising, and missions leadership and coordination.
Essential Job Functions
- Support the Senior Pastor in the overall vision casting and leadership of the church’s teaching and weekend service planning, design, and execution.
- Function as the manager of the annual sermon calendar, including maintaining a separate calendar used by the Teaching Team for long-range planning.
- Upon receipt of completed manuscript, provide the Senior Pastor with feedback and improvement ideas prior to Sunday morning.
- Assist in the creation of videos and/or other creative elements for Sunday morning production (original video ideas, movie and television clips, drama possibilities, testimonials, bumper content, etc.).
- Serve as the primary go-to person on stage for welcome, offering, communication, and closing comments on Sunday mornings.
- Communicate with and handle all outside speakers, including securing manuscripts, coordinating travel arrangements, requesting honorarium payments, etc.
- Function as second/back up speaker to the Senior Pastor with an “emergency sermon” always at the ready.
- Assist the Senior Pastor in the management of social media outlets and overall web presence as well as book writing and promotion.
- Function as owner and champion of all external marketing activities maximizing attendance of special outreach focused events and key evangelistic sermon series.
- Organize and lead the church’s regional, national, and international mission efforts including annual mission trips.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
This position requires a minimum of 5 to 7 years experience as a staff member in a ministry leadership capacity. Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree in Biblical studies or related field is required. The successful individual will be a self-starter, not requiring a great deal of supervision, with a solid work ethic and willingness to do what it takes to get the job done. A working knowledge of Microsoft Office as well as the ability to research and use a multitude of information gathering resources is a must.