The High School Pastor is responsible for all aspects of ensuring the spiritual growth and development of high school students (grades 9through 12). This includes leadership of weekly programs and periodic special events (camps, conferences, trips, service projects, etc.).
Essential Job Functions
- Lead a team of paid staff and volunteers in the creation and operation of a high school student ministry, including weekly services and routine special events.
- Plan and execute biblically accurate, culturally relevant, and high energy services for high school students.
- Create and manage a high school student ministry calendar that will drive all the activities and teaching of the ministry.
- Direct the recruitment, training, and development of volunteers as needed to staff weekly programs and special events.
- Develop and disciple a group of student leaders.
- Implement student registration, program management, and security policies/practices in support of weekly services and special events.
- Cast vision for, teach, and program the church’s annual fall retreat for high school students including music selection, development of messages/teaching, and utilization of games and other artistic elements in the inspiration of high school students in learning about God.
- Design, plan, and conduct periodic parent meetings in order to meet the needs and expectations of families attending the church.
- Lead the creative use and proactive upkeep of student ministry facilities and grounds.
- Assist in the development of an annual budget for high school student ministries and manage spending to budget.
- Function as a member of the church’s pastoral staff performing baptism services, weddings, funerals, etc. as part of a rotation schedule.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
This position requires a minimum of 3 to 5 years experience as a staff member in a student ministry leadership capacity. Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree in Biblical studies or related field is required. (Extensive ministry experience, in some cases, can be substituted.) The successful individual will be a strong leader with a solid work ethic, possessing a passion for teaching students about God and the ability to administrate as a department head. A working knowledge of creative programming related to student programs and special events is a real plus.