Pretty much on a continuous basis, I’m involved in one form of coaching relationship or another. While sometimes I’m serving with the lead or senior pastor of a church, most of the time I’m coaching a new executive pastor who is being phased into the position or who has recently assumed the role. Either way, I’m finding my advice over the new executive pastor’s first year is almost always the same.
So, I thought I would post the first “five Steps” for the new executive pastor, based on my experience as a coach.
Here they are:
- Organizational Structure – Defining Responsibility And Authority
- Data Collection – Understanding The Current State Of “The Business”
- Planning – Developing A Strategic Plan
- Prioritization – Highest Priority First
- Infrastructure Development – Documenting Systems, Processes, And Methods
I’ve done some writing on most of these topics. I’ll list some of them at the end of this post.
Decisions Based On Data
Strategic Planning – Step By Step
Developing A “Plan And Execute” Culture
The Executive Pastor Is An “Infrastructure Builder”
Infrastructure Development – Where Do I Start?