The Executive Pastor is responsible for the overall leadership and direction of church staff, leading all functional areas in the accomplishment of the church’s mission. This includes outreach, arts, pastoral care, group life, student and children’s ministry areas as well as strategic planning, finance, administration, human resources, and operations.
Essential Job Functions
- Support the Senior Pastor in the accomplishment of the church’s mission through ministry effectiveness evaluation, discernment, decision making, planning and overall direction of church staff.
- Lead the ministry staff in the establishment and ongoing direction of ministries that effectively reach the church’s demographic, insuring the accomplishment of the overall mission.
- Ensure the operational readiness of the church through leadership and oversight of the support staff performing duties in administration, finance, human resources, supply, and facilities management.
- Facilitate the annual strategic planning process including evaluation of ministry performance; review of mission, vision, and core values; development of key objectives and tactics; and establishment of three year goals.
- Establish and maintain a set of key performance measures (KPMs) that provide the Senior Pastor and church staff with ongoing visibility of the effectiveness of all functional areas of the church.
- Develop annual financial plans that fund the accomplishment of the strategic plan and meet critical financial objectives such as established cash reserve levels.
- Lead church planting efforts including development of a strategy, networking with other church planting focused churches for funding and provision of other needed resources as well as identification, development, and leadership of lead church planters.
- Champion the development of infrastructure by all ministry and support areas that supports healthy, long-term growth of the church.
- Lead the church’s building programs including capital fund raising campaigns, master planning, design and architecture, contractor selection, and construction.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
This position requires a minimum of 10 to 15 years of experience as a senior leader in a corporate business environment. Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Technology, or other related field is required. Master’s work in Biblical studies is a plus. The successful individual must have a proven track record of effective leadership, judgment, and above reproach character.
Management System – Document Hierarchy
The Management System – Form, Fit, and Function
First Steps For The New Executive Pastor
Compensation Programs: The Job Description
How To Write A Job Description